Nanotechnology’s Place in Oncology: Because Bigger Doesn’t Mean Better

By Brook Teffera

The American Cancer Society estimates that 1600 Americans will die every day in 2013 due to cancer, a condition characterized by the unregulated growth of cells. Only 5% of all cancers can be linked to heritable causes; the other 95% is caused by gene degradation over one’s lifetime. The five year survival rate of individuals living with cancer has significantly improved over the years, from a 49% survival rate from 1975-77 to 68% survival rate from 2002-08, indicating the medical advancements made over the year. These advancements include prevention, more localized surgical methods, and chemotherapy, which use powerful chemicals to purge the body of any mutated cells.

Read More

Jack Andraka: Boy Wonder

By: Kristine Chambers

As a 15-year-old high school freshman, Jack Andraka has recently won the grand prize of $75,000 in the 2012 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair. Why you ask? It is because he figured out a test for detecting early stage pancreatic cancer that is thousands of times cheaper, hundreds of times more effective than the standard test.

Read More